I've Been Tagged
1) I have sailed across the Pacific Ocean 4 times, 3 of those times were solo. The 2002 Singlehanded Transpacific race, 2004 Singlehanded Transpacific race. The return voyage back to California in 2004 I also did solo.
2) I like to be alone (see above). I drive cross country by myself too. Until you spend time really alone, you don't know yourself.
3) Entrepreneurship brings out the manic/depressive in me. The highs are really high, the lows are crushing. My stubbornness gets me through the lows.
4) In a performance review at Yahoo! I was told I had an "east coast management style". I am guilty as charged. I am sarcastic, I tend not to sugar coat criticism (but don't take it personally), and I really don't suffer fools well. (Frankly Y! would be well served these days by more "east coast management style").
5) You can network to anyone. Now it's easier than ever. Blogs have totally changed the way business development works for online companies. Blogs are rapidly changing the way the VC world works too. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is "no".
6) I believe in love at first sight.
7) The summer before I turn 50 (I'm 42 now) I'm going to hike the entire Appalachian Trail.
8) Someday I'm going to do the Vendee Globe race. That's solo, around the world, no stops, no outside assistance. I have some technological ideas about how to handle the ice in the southern ocean that should allow me to get scary far south (the high 50s to the low 60s).
Technically I supposed to tag others at this point... That will take more thought.